33 Facts You Never Knew About Food
Here are 33 facts you never knew about food:
- There were no tomatoes in Italian food, peanuts in Thai food, or chili peppers in Indian food in the year 1450.
- Sauerkraut is so full of vitamins and probiotics that ancient sailors would eat it on long voyages to keep healthy.
- Over 90% of food allergies (especially in young children) are caused by dairy products, soy, shellfish, wheat, gluten, peanuts, or egg whites.
- Fish are freshest when the eyes look bright and clear, the body looks clean, and feels firm.
- Square watermelons are grown in Zentsuji, Japan.
- Color affects the taste of food.
- Macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs.
- Around 2/3 of the world’s eggplants are grown in New Jersey.
- You can still swallow food in zero gravity.
- The croissant was invented in Austria.
- Each American consumes an average of 156 lbs of sugar per year.
- Spices have numerous healthy properties; for example, turmeric is an antiseptic and a natural liver detoxifier.
- Naturally blue food does not exist.
- Carrots have 0% fat.
- Ketchup, one of the most popular condiments in the United States, is a half a billion-dollar industry.
- Sushi rice is considered an art by sushi chefs.
- Apples, not coffee, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.
- Americans eat 35,000 tons of pasta each year.
- Japan is the largest exporter of frog legs.
- One of the world’s most expensive food items is made from bird saliva.
- The banana tree is actually an herb.
- Arachibutyrophobia is fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth.
- The oldest known vegetable is the pea.
- Before thermometers were invented, brewers would dip a thumb or finger into the mix to find the right temperature for adding yeast. Too cold, and the yeast wouldn't grow. Too hot, and the yeast would die. This thumb in the beer is where "rule of thumb" comes from.
- Italians do not put meatballs on spaghetti.
- Rice is the staple food for 50% of the world population.
- The most popular foods for cooking on the grill are, in order: burgers, steak, hot dogs, and chicken.
- Carrots were traditionally purple.
- Hippopotamus was the main ingredient used in the first soup.
- America’s best selling ice cream flavor is vanilla.
- There are over 7,000 types of apples.
- After Candy Corn, the leading Halloween candy best sellers are Snickers, Reese’s Cups, Kit Kat, and M&M’s.
- Over 10 percent of annual candy sales happen the days leading up to Halloween -- that is nearly $2 billion dollars in sales.
Do you know any little-known food facts? Share them in the comment section!
Featured Images from Masala Wok Dallas, RA Sushi Chicago, Weber Grill Restaurant Chicago.
Reader’s Digest CA
Did You Knows